After five and a half hours, police and sheriff tactical officers entered a home on North First Street in Cannon Falls, finding the shooting suspect dead inside.

Police were called just after 11:30 a.m. Wednesday to a report of a woman being shot at. Police found the 26-year-old woman with a gunshot wound. She was transported to a trauma center, and her condition was not released as of 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Police surrounded the house at the corner of North First and Hoffman streets in Cannon Falls where they thought the suspect was.

Officers from Cannon Falls Police, the Goodhue County Sheriff's Office, Dakota County Sheriff's Office,  Minnesota State Patrol and Red Wing police were among the agencies participating in the standoff.

Throughout the afternoon, Goodhue County sheriff's deputies broadcast a message for the suspect to come out through the front door with his hands up.

About 4 p.m. an armor vehicle used an extended arm to break down the front door of the house and shatter a front window. A drone was seen flying into the house.

At 5 p.m., the tactical teams moved in, finding the 25-year-old man dead. Police continued to cordon off streets immediately around the house as they investigated the scene after finding the body inside.

The investigation of the incident is just beginning and will take several hours to determine the details that lead to the shooting, according to a police news release. The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension Crime Scene Unit will be assisting the Cannon Falls Police Department in processing the scene.

As a precautionary measure, police locked down Cannon Falls schools after the shooting was reported. Police coordinated with school officials to release students from the school while the standoff continued.

A huge area of the city was cordoned off during the standoff. Traffic southbound on Highway 19 into the city was stopped at the school. Roads leading east from Fourth Street were closed with Minnesota Department of Transportation trucks blocking them. Residents were urged to shelter in place.

Despite the blockade, several motorists drove down Second Street, a block from the home. One woman drove through a barricade and right up to where police cars were parked in front of the house.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Thank you for taking part in our commenting section. We want this platform to be a safe and inclusive community where you can freely share ideas and opinions. Comments that are racist, hateful, sexist or attack others won’t be allowed. Just keep it clean. Do these things or you could be banned:

• Don’t name-call and attack other commenters. If you’d be in hot water for saying it in public, then don’t say it here.

• Don’t spam us.

• Don’t attack our journalists.

Let’s make this a platform that is educational, enjoyable and insightful.

Email questions to

Share your opinion


Join the conversation

Recommended for you