Northbound Hwy 52 traffic will be detoured at the Hwy 60 West bridge in Zumbrota using the off- and on-ramps from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sept. 8 while crews place bridge beams, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Motorists should be aware of planned detours related to the work:
- Northbound Hwy 52 motorists will utilize exit/entrance ramps at the Hwy 60 West bridge work zone in Zumbrota. Southbound Hwy 52 will remain open
- 5th Street access to and from Hwy 52 northbound ramps at Hwy 60 West bridge will be closed during this timeframe and should use the ramps at Hwy 58 in Zumbrota
The beams on the east side of the Hwy 60 bridge will be set during this time. The west side beams will be set on Sept. 22, and southbound Hwy 52 will be closed and detoured from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
The work is part of the Hwy 52 project from Zumbrota to Cannon Falls, which began in July and is expected to be completed in 2023. Mathiowetz Construction Company is the prime contractor of this $69.7 million project.
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving)
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones